Saturday, June 21, 2008

Road Trippin'

We left on Thursday and are enjoying some southern hospitality in North Carolina with Dan and Rebecca. We left at 7:40 pm and made it to Delaware by 1:00 am on Friday morning. Now that is cruising. We did not hit any traffic anywhere up to that point. Here are some thoughts from the road:
  • The most expensive state in terms of tolls is Delaware. It costs $7.00 to go about 20 miles. Not cool. We went 20 miles in New York and did not have to pay anything on the way down.
  • Mary thinks I might be crazy for driving so late into the night. Obviously, she did not grow up with the Dale and Sally "Haul Rear Across America" program. (Ask Honor about the name. I am sure that my mother will disassociate herself with this particular program. She will say it was Dad. And she just might be right!)
  • I saw a weird license plate on the way down. It was from Georgia and it was completely red. I don't think I have ever seen an all red license plate before.
  • Grace and Caleb both slept well on this trip. Joshua did not sleep as well. Usually Caleb and Joshua are the better car sleepers.
  • Grace slept so well in the car, she even took a nap on Friday afternoon. Grace NEVER naps in the car. Usually she and I are the only ones awake. But she took a nap this trip.
We have really enjoyed hanging out with Dan, Rebecca, and the monkeys. We went to the Duke University gardens and cathedral this afternoon. The gardens were amazing and the cathedral looks stunning. Certainly it is not your garden variety church. Tonight we went to a Durham Bulls game. Minor league baseball is a fun, family-friendly event. The kids really enjoyed themselves, though the later the game went the more difficult it was for them.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Of course I would be right. Where are the accompanying pictures? Howdy to Dan and Rebecca and gang. Mom