Monday, September 10, 2007

An Experiment in Sociology

I don't know what it is about Target, but I always seem to see or hear something interesting there. We went to Target over Labor Day weekend with our closest 3734 friends. The place was packed with back-to-school shoppers. I saw one shopper wearing a t-shirt that said: I ♥ Black People.

I am sure that many of us agree with that sentiment. My question is what would have happened if I had walked into Target that evening wearing a shirt that said: I ♥ White People?

What if it said: I ♥ Crackers? (Or Honkies?)

Obviously, the last two are intended to be more offensive, but I believe I would have gotten dirty looks with the I ♥ White People shirt.

And what kind of looks would I have gotten if I had walked in wearing the I ♥ Black People shirt?

What does this say about us and racial relations?

And what does it say about me because I wonder about these things?

2 comments:

Sally said...

I would worry more about your lack of sensitivity if you did not worry about such insensitive things such as the shirt you saw. Mom

Oliver said...

I'm contemplating renaming my blog "I ♥ Crackers"