Sunday, May 18, 2008

Some Days Are Better Than Others

Two weeks ago, Mary was supposed to make a cake for Teacher Appreciation Day at the elementary school. We were in the middle of painting our room, so she wanted to get it done quickly. She had a new strawberry cake and icing recipe that she wanted to try out from Paula. (No, not that Paula, this Paula.)

The cake turned out delicious but Mary was not happy with the way it looked after she had frosted it. She had made too much frosting anyway, so she decided to bake another cake. She did not have the ingredients to make the same cake so she made a bundt cake.

The bundt cake turned out fine and she let it cool. Right as she was pulling it out of the pan, the cake ripped apart. She was not happy. Two cakes and neither of them turned out how she wanted.

In the end, she used the strawberry frosting (which was heavy) to "glue" the pieces back together and covered the cake in frosting. You could not tell at all that it had ripped.

I still don't think that Mary was totally pleased with it, but it had to have tasted great.

What was I doing while she baked? I fulfilled my manifest destiny as a tall man and painted the ceiling.
Friday, I flew to Philadelphia for work. The rain delayed my flight, but I was not late for my meetings. They went well and I left ahead of my colleagues because I needed to get home. My in-laws are visiting and I wanted to be at home with them. I made it to the airport and found out that the last four or five flights to Boston had been cancelled and then next couple were going to be cancelled as well. I managed to get onto the 11:00 pm flight. My colleagues made it to the airport after I did and left before I did. Fortunately, the 11:00 pm flight was not cancelled. I finally boarded the plane a little after midnight and arrived home just before 2:00 am.

I spent a little less than 8 hours in the Philadelphia airport. Too bad Matt and Honor moved to Florida.

A follow-up to the post below, the two flights that left Philadelphia to end the day were not full! My coworkers called me to tell me that there was still room on their flight and that I should run over. I did but was too late to get on the plane. My flight was about half full. I know they were rebooking people for Saturday and they did not even fill up the other flights on Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Mary!! I knew that you'd get sucked into the School/Teacher Appreciation/PTO void!


I want the cake/frosting recipe.

P.S. Jared, you should have posted pictures of the cakes... :-)

Anonymous said...

Can you tell I type too fast sometimes?