Thursday, April 19, 2007

Quality Programming (Updated)

Do you ever feel old? Tonight I am old. I am writing a blog post about the "good old days".

Did you ever watch The Muppet Show growing up? We always watched. I thought I liked it because I was young and it was targeted for children. But as an adult, I have watched a few episodes and now I think they really knew what they were doing with the Muppet Show.

What entertainment will my children look back at on in the same light? (Besides the obvious: Pixar movies.)


(This is a better version of the Muppets skit from YouTube, so I got rid of the Goggle Video with the Norwegian subtitles.)

Two additional observations about the Muppets:
  • There are a lot of Muppets videos on YouTube and Google Video. It is fun to go back and watch them.
  • Though the short clips are great, it does not do the show justice. The Muppet Show always had a couple of running jokes through a given program that enhanced the comedic value of some of the skits. (See the end of the video above for a small example.) You just cannot see that aspect by watching unconnected clips of the show.
One more story about these videos. Caleb and I were surfing them and we watched a performance of the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 with Victor Borge. I liked the clip but we only watched it one time because Caleb was not enjoying it. So, you might imagine my surprise when I found Caleb humming about 15—20 seconds of this piece seven or eight hours later. (It is the part that begins just after the three minute mark of this clip.) Needless to say, Caleb has a musical streak in him. It will be interesting to see how he develops it.

No comments: