Sunday, December 14, 2008

Redefinition

I was talking to Grace the other night and Caleb came up to me and said, "You're a nerd."

I said, "Thanks."

Caleb turned around, looked quizzically at me and asked, "What does nerd mean?"

I said, "A nerd is someone who likes to learn and study. They are usually pretty smart."

Grace said, "I want to be a nerd!"

And Caleb said, "Me too!"

I loved it. Some of you may say that I left details out of that definition. The way I figure it, they will know something about the social awkwardness/stigma sooner or later. I mean, they are related to me.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Jared,
I would rather use the term "brainiac". Katie is definitely a brainiac-- she is smart and bookish, but not socially awkward. I have never seen you as socially awkward!! You are NOT a nerd.

erk said...

have you never seen his orange turkey shirt he wears? we love you jared, but as well as brainiac does describe you, so does nerd