Last summer, there was a dance routine choreographed to Ramalama Bang Bang by Roisin Murphy on the show "So You Think You Can Dance". The routine was cool and the song is catchy.
But this song is a microcosm of my love/hate feelings about a lot of indie music. When I first hear a given indie song, I think it is great. Usually, it is appealing in a different and wonderful way. The uniqueness of the song draws me in and I enjoy the sound. Then I listen a little closer or watch a video, like the one above. The feeling starts to grow that the singer might be just a little over the top. Is it possible that someone can be too into their own music?
I love art from music to films to photography to sculpture to paintings. But for me, artists lose their way when they take themselves too seriously. Art can be fun or serious or tell a compelling story. Most art is thought provoking and broadens your view of the world. And when an artist is in your face that they are making a work of art, the power of their message wanes. Of course, artist always do this in the name of "their craft".
But you don't need to do be out there in the name of your artwork. Trust your craftsmanship and let us internalizes your message. We will learn something from your art. And I often feel this way after listening to indie music.
(My conflicting feelings notwithstanding, I won't stop listening to the music. I listened to Ramalama Bang Bang ten times while posting this. I just have issues.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment