Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Observing the Little One

I forgot to mention a couple of things about the birth. A few notes and observations on baby Joshua:
  • He has red hair. Grace and Caleb didn't have much hair at birth. I seem to be losing my hair. But baby Joshua has red hair and a decent bit of it at that.
  • Joshua can really scream. Grace and Caleb were very alert when they were born. Joshua was very alert and loud. Whatever his Apgar score was for crying, Grace and Caleb should have been one point less. They did not work the lungs like he did.
  • This is our heaviest baby, but not the longest. Although, I have to admit that I am skeptical of baby "height" measurements. Their legs cannot stretch out straight. How is the measurement going to be accurate? (Or maybe my inner statistician/geek just needs some error bars on the measurement.)
  • I love the way babies can recognize a voice. Joshua often heard me in utero and he knows my voice. Whenever I talk to him, it seems to soothe him. A nice change since I usually just grate on people.
  • Mary is still the champ of the earth. I know you know that and are dedicated fans. It just bears mentioning. She did great getting Joshua out that quickly.
  • Mary struggled to get Grace and Caleb's head out during childbirth. After that, both of them seemed to come out fairly quickly. The head was plenty difficult this time, but the shoulders seemed to be a lot more work as well. Will he have broad shoulders? Who knows? It is too early to tell.
  • He is a good eater so far. I guess if you come in at 9 pounds, you have to be a good eater.
  • My brother blogged a little during the birth of his daughter. I am not a Crackberry-head, but I could not decided if that was kind of cool or kind of crazy. Joshua came so fast, the whole discussion is moot.

No comments: