Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Monday Night Family Activity

Grace had an idea for a family activity yesterday. She wanted to planted flowers in the cemetery for Robert. So last night, we stopped by a local farm to pick out the plants. Caleb knew exactly what he wanted. He picked Gerber daises, his favorite. Grace had trouble deciding, but chose a begonia in the end. Mary grabbed a trowel, hand rake and potting soil and we made our purchases.

We hoped in the car and phoned in a pizza order. With one large cheese pizza and one large pepperoni pizza in hand, we made our way to the cemetery. I helped the children dig two holes in front of the head stone. Mary helped them fill the holes with soil and the flowers. We added more soil and watered the flowers.

As Grace and I went to throw the trash away I asked her if this was her idea or if she had worked on it with Caleb. She said, "It was my idea. It has been a while since we came to see Robert. I wanted to say hi to him and wish him happy spring and summer. That is why we needed to plant flowers." I love her innocence and caring soul. After surveying our work, we left.

We drove to a local park for our picnic dinner of pizza, carrots, and drinks. Grace and Caleb ran around, Mary and I talked and Joshua sat with us. Before the excursion was over, we had all run around the park, rode on the swings or slid down a slide. It was good to be together.

I love our family.
I enjoy flowers. If I had a garden, I would plant flowers not vegetables. Flowers have a lot symbolism. They symoblize the faith of planting, the circle of life and the hope that they will grow next year.

Yesterday I had a different thought. These flowers seem like they are my flowers for Algernon.

I miss you, Robert.

2 comments:

Sally said...

I love that you go to a farm to pick out your plants. Mom

eric said...

I don't know what you like to do for your pizza, but I have really been surprized lately by Litter Ceaser and their 5 dollar large pizzas. I do not know if we just have a really good franchise but it has been really taste and is great because you don't have to call in, they always have some ready, so you can pick it up on the run and land at a park with it.