Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thoughts On the Idol Final

Please come to the podium to receive your award.
  • Best Performance. The African Children's Choir was high energy and fun. A refreshing break from the usual pop music.
  • Most Unexpected Appearance. Doug E. Fresh, a king of old school rap and beat boxing, performing on American Idol. I'll admit it was a guilty pleasure.
  • Most Tear Inducing. Tie between Bette Midler and Sanjaya Malakar. From Jerry Springer's tears and that little girl, I don't know what else to say except that it brought me to tears to have to listen to it, too.
  • Biggest Headscratcher. Joe Perry comes on the show to perform with Sanjaya? Wow.
  • My Favorite. Gladys Knight, Melinda and Lakisha singing "Leaving on a Midnight Train to Georgia". It is a wonderful song and they chose the right group to sing it. Did you notice how much fun Jordin was having?
  • Things I had Forgotten. Smokey Robinson has a unique sound that is great. I don't think anyone else sings like he does.
  • Cheesiest Performance.Unbelieveably, it goes to Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul during "Wind Beneath My Wings". The judges were worse than any of the campy group numbers. Amazing.
I did not watch enough this season to have a strong opinion about the final. Well, I thought Melinda should have won, but you only had to watch one show to figure that out.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Missed first 50 minutes of tonights show. Began with Gladys and Melinda and Lakisha. Could never have gotten enough of that. Agree with all you had to say. Mom