Friday, October 26, 2007

Holy Day?

God commanded us to keep the Sabbath day holy. There are a lot of benefits to keeping this commandment. It gives us a chance to regroup and spend time together. Our family normally plays games together, reads together and will periodically watch a movie together. There is one more thing that our children like to do on Sunday. They like to get sick.

I don't know how many times I have gone to CVS on Sunday to get medicine, ginger ale, or crackers. It seems like the first day of illness almost always comes on Sunday. So when Caleb had his fever two weeks ago, it came on Sunday. We were out of acetaminophen after a dose or two. I went to the cupboard to get the extra one we keep and it wasn't there.

So if you see me in CVS on Sunday, you might want to stay away from me. Not because I am going to be struck by lightning (though that may happen) but chances are someone in my house is sick.
Speaking of a fever, we watched a family movie on the Sunday Caleb was sick. After it was over, Caleb was watching TV and said, "Dad, can you see if the Red Sox are on?"

I told him game 7 of the ALCS was not on until later that night, but my children seem to have caught baseball fever somewhere.
And where would you catch baseball fever around here? At school, of course. Grace (and all the elementary kids) came home with "Go Red Sox" pennants. Isn't that a great lesson taught by our public schools? Besides the great spelling lesson, it is important that we teach our children about the American pastime. It's not like they can stay up to watch the games.
And coming full circle with sports and the Sabbath, I was talking to my brother the day of the ALCS game 7. I asked him if it was keeping the Sabbath day holy by watching the first NFL game, the Pats game, and then the Sox.

He said, "It depends on what you are trying to make holy."

1 comment:

Sally said...

Do you not remember that the Post used to be the vehicle for delivering Red Skins bumper stickers? Mom