Friday, January 26, 2007

O Christmas Tree

Well, it has been just over a month since Christmas and a full three weeks since the final decorative vestiges of Christmas disappeared into their boxes until next year. I need to write about our Christmas tree.

Our Christmas tree is modest. It is a fake Christmas tree that is about three feet tall. We place it on a folding table, so it looks bigger. I love that tree. It is our first tree and I am attached to it. Mary is not overly sentimental about it. I had resigned myself to that fact that we would get a big tree this year since I am the only one attached to this small tree. But there was a miscommunication and we ended up not purchasing a new tree. I was really excited that we kept the old one.

Don't get me wrong, I think a larger tree would look great in our house. We also have enough decorations to upgrade the tree. There was one problem this year, though. If we had a big Christmas tree, Robert should have been playing under it and the decorations should have been moving up the tree as the season wore on. And I would know that every time I walked past a big tree. But I did not have to think about that as I walked past our small tree.

And that was why Christmas was difficult. You never knew when you would be reminded that Robert wasn't around.

The children sat on Santa's lap ... well not all of them.
Did you see the gleam in the children's eyes as the ripped off the Christmas paper? Or at least all the children but one?

Be safe Robert. We love you and miss you.

No comments: