Naming Rights
We are still trying to figure out what to call Joshua. For the most part, he goes by Joshua. We have the occasional Josh thrown in there, but I think we like Joshua more. Other names we have tried: Squashua Joshua, Squish-Squash Josh, Joshu-wee (Caleb's nickname), Chubby Bug (Because Grace says, "He has chubby cheeks and is a cutie bug."), Ua (my anti-Josh campaign), and Hua (Oliver's anti-Josh campaign). Maybe one of these days I can post a picture.
Night of the Living Dead
The other night I got up and took Caleb to the bathroom. He was screaming for me and Mary was nursing Joshua. Mary told me to go and get him. I got him and took him to the bathroom. Then I went back to bed. I don't remember doing it at all. We won't even mention how Mary has rediscovered her talent for falling asleep at anytime almost anywhere. You have to love the side effects of having a new baby in the home.
Words, Words, Words
After a recent viewing of "Parent Trap" (Lindsay Lohan edition), Grace started saying, "You gave me a fright" when someone startled her. Also, she has picked up on the term "in fact". The other day she answered my question by saying, "I don't want to do that, in fact." (In fact, I have no idea where she picked that one up.)
Malapropisms
Thermonitor 1) A device used to ascertain the temperature of a conversation you are monitoring from afar. 2) What Grace calls "the (baby) monitor".
Extra Case 1) Why people keep their old briefcases. 2) What Caleb says instead of "just in case".
My Dear, Dear, Dear 1) Something Sally would say when talking to someone she holds dear. 2) Something Caleb would now say when talking to someone he holds dear. (This is funny to hear. Not quite as funny as Grace using "my lands" or "oh, my stars" after living with Sally, but still really funny.)
The Consummate Bachelor
I saw a man in Costco carrying two purchases: one video game and a case of Cup of Noddle soup.
Ode to the (Not So) Modern Family
On the same Costco Trip, I saw a father and two sons. The father led the way while chatting on his Bluetooth headset. His older son carried a red hayfork. The younger one sported a raccoon skin hat and carried an old rifle.
Department of Rhetorical Questions Department
Speaking of Costco, if you volunteered to help the Girl Scouts sell cookies would there be a better place to hang out on a Saturday morning than in front of Costco? But if you did, would you have to sell them by the case? And would the price be based on $3.80/box instead of $4.00/box?
I'm Serious!
I love the company slogans. On the way to work, I saw a woman carrying a shoulder bag with the slogan "Serious Nucleic Acid Purification". I thought to myself, "Thank goodness they are serious. Is there anything worse than not-so-serious nucleic acid purification?"
When I Run a Marketing Department...
I am not going to run an ad featuring "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes like Wendy's. Sometimes you have to stay away from the baggage even if it isn't true. (But for someone in marketing that might be the hook they want or need.) Let's stay away from marketing messages anyway, so I don't have to write about Snickers or Victoria's Secret advertising.
What's in a Name?
But I have to mention the "Victoria's Secret Beauty" stores. I am glad I did not have to name that venture. I would have come up with "Victoria's Readily Apparent Beauty". But that just isn't as catchy, is it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey, how about going to bed before 2:00 AM EDT time. You only are one timezone over. Try to get some sleep over there.
I'm laughing at so many of these -- the Costco stories, the funny words, the night of the living dead...
I, too, would love some pictures.
Kriste
I love the anti-Josh campaign names! (though I must say that I do like just plain ole Josh in addition to Joshua) It reminds me of when Jacob (my youngest brother) was born - I called him "Ob" for a long little while to riot against the nickname Jake. I figured I'd try to call him Ob for every time someone would call him Jake in his life. I am quite sure I never even came close to evening the score, but it makes for a good story.
I love Caleb and Grace quoting Sally! I think I would die laughing if Tara said something like that...thanks for the update. Hope you get more sleep! Love Jen
Post a Comment