Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Moving On

I played basketball with Craig last night. That really is not noteworthy. Craig and I have been playing basketball together on and off since the summer of 1999. There have been stretches where we would play every week for months. There have been stretches where we did not play for a few months. But we have managed to play often. There have been a lot of good times, beautiful assists (usually from Craig), ugly shots (usually from me), way too many injuries (usually Craig) and a little bit of trash-talking. Last night marked the end of an era. Craig, Lois, HC, and LJ are moving next week and I don't know when we will play again.

It is never fun to see good friends move but it has been a theme for us this year. Dan and Rebecca left for North Carolina in June. I have known Dan since I was 10. He came over immediately after we found out about Robert's prenatal trouble. Rebecca photographed Robert and our family and has done so much for us. They brought us meals, took care of Grace when Caleb was born, and were always there. Now they are helping people many miles from here.

Curtis, Kelly, Caitlyn, Jackson, Hannah, Logan, and Henry moved in June. I called them the morning Robert was born. I dropped Caleb and Grace off at their home before 6:00 am on the way to the hospital to be with Mary. They took care of all of us. Kelly (and Rebecca) were our only friends to meet little Robert. They visited Mary in the hospital countless times. Curtis and Kelly invited us over for Sunday dinner too many times to count. Now they are in California.

And next week it will be time to say goodbye to Craig, Lois, HC and LJ. Caleb and HC were born at neighboring hospitals a day apart. I visited Lois and HC with Grace after HC was born. Craig visited Mary and Caleb. We have watched too many college football games with them, eaten at each other's homes many times, gone camping together and watched our children play together. They will be missed.

Though it is hard to see so many good friends move this year, we are so grateful that we know them and have been able to associate with them. They have helped us through the most difficult times. At Robert's graveside service there were a number of family members there to support us and a few friends. The invited friends were Dan and Rebecca, Curtis and Kelly, and Craig and Lois and their families. That was it. All of them will have moved within the last five months. It is tough to see them go, but I am glad that they were here last year. If they have to leave now, I will be ever grateful they were here then.

Thanks for all the help and continued friendship. Know you are missed.

No comments: