Mary and I got ready for bed on Christmas Eve in relatively good time. We stayed up and watched the news, but things were good to go. At about 1:00 am, Joshua threw up (well it was closer to spitting up). Mary cleaned him up while I checked the bed. There was nothing on it. But in order to make that assessment, I had to turn on the light in the bedroom. I woke up Caleb. After Mary bathed Joshua, we laid down with him for 20 minutes to ensure he was feeling fine. I took him back to his bedroom and put him in bed. Caleb was still awake at 2:20 am. Joshua would not let me leave, so I laid down for 30 minutes. When I left, I don't think Caleb was quite asleep. It was 3:00 am.
I quickly fell asleep only to be awaken by Caleb at 5:45 am. He wanted to know if Santa had visited us. He wanted to open presents now. I told him he should go back to bed or sleep with Dad. (Really I was just too tired to function.) He laid down but was incredibly restless. I drifted off and then I felt Caleb climb back into bed with me.
He was shaking with excitement as he said "Dad, we have more presents downstairs than last year AND Grace got a new bike!"
Now I was getting mad. Caleb knew that he was not supposed to go downstairs without the rest of the family.* Fortunately, Mary recognized what was happening. She told Caleb to come over to her side of the bed. They talked about how exciting presents are and how we could open them soon.
Gratefully, Mary saved Caleb from me, the Grinch.
* Now you may say it is hypocritical of me to complain about children going downstairs before the rest of the family. When I was younger, I never went downstairs before the rest of the family and told my parents about it. I just went downstairs. Why would you tell your parents?
If I am feeling nostalgic one night, I will have to type up the Christmas stories from my family.
5 comments:
I am still laughing. Was wondering why you were getting mad and if you would get around to a confession. Glad to know you are an honest man. Now write up those stories. Love you, Mom
Hey Jared & Mary-
Merry Grinchmas was awesome! Your Mom commented that she couldn't believe you were getting mad and here I was reading and thinking, I can't believe how patient you guys are!!! Just goes to show, great patience is NOT one of my virtues. I loved reading your Christmas letter and seeing pictures on your card and in your blog. We miss you guys like crazy. Do you have a current email address?
Love ya, Audrey Dutcher apdtd@juno.com
Happy new year, you grinches!
I love it Jared! What would Christmas have been like without sneaking downstairs? Way to go Caleb. I am truely sorry you had an interrupted nights sleep. I am quite familiar with that as you will be in a few more months. I also know the tired frustration that comes from sleep being interrupted by older siblings. :-)
One year I made the mistake of letting the kids hang their stockings by their beds (no fireplace). Because the kids were so excited and sleeping so lightly, Santa didn't get a chance to fill them until 2:30am. They woke up at 3:30am. Santa was not thrilled.
Post a Comment