Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Is it Starting Already?

Being a parent sneaks up on you. There are ominous stories you hear; the challenges and difficulties of parenting, the new beginnings, the old times, and the constant transitions. For Mary and me, we are beginning to hit those milestones. Sure, the children are still very young and they let us hold them and hold onto them, but they are growing up fast. Grace is now in school and soon Caleb will follow. The relentless march of time continues without abatement.

I thought that having the first child start school would be this year's difficult milestone. It was not. Admittedly, it was startling to see Grace go to class the first time and emotional to see her almost cry. But she stood tall and we tried to as well. We were looking for another momentous signpost and one snuck up on me. It was a fatherly duty and it happened last night.

Now, fathers are always on the look out for certain lessons to teach their children. Though they do not relish each lesson, fathers are mindful of the particular ones they must teach their children. Fathers want to help children learn to choose friends wisely and how to fix things. They may teach about basic life skills or math lessons. Others have the opportunity to start awkward conversations about avian creatures and flying insects. This conversation had to do with a daughter and a boyfriend.

We were driving in the car and Grace was telling us about school. She was describing enjoyable kindergarten activities and her group of classmates. Mary asked about her friends and Grace listed those in her group.

Then Grace says, "Dimitri is in my group. I told him that he was my boyfriend."

Somewhat incredulously, Mary asks, "Really, what did he say?"

Grace says, "He said, 'Oh. Great.' "

Now, what is a father supposed to do with this information? A first boyfriend for my kindergartner? Should I grab a shotgun? Or a dictionary to explain the term boyfriend? Should I tell my daughter she is never going out with him? Or should I take Dimitri's answer and add it to the "Say what?" post below?

Grace has a "boyfriend". And it made me laugh. Maybe I am not cut out to be a father.

No comments: