Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Stall Tactics

As I close the door, I say, "Good night, Grace. Good night, Caleb."

Out of the darkness comes Caleb's voice, "But, but, but, but, but..."

"Yes, Caleb," I reply.

"I need to go potty."

"You just went."

"Can we have one more story then?" he says searching for my weakness.

"No, its time for bed."

"I need a drink of water."

"No more water." I am standing my ground because this has gone on too long.

Then he says, "Will you lay by me Dad? Don't Dads like to watch kids sleep like it says in the book?"

Now, I am wracking my brain. Where would he have read that line? Isn't that from The Daddy Book by Todd Parr? "All daddies like to watch you sleep," it reads. When would he have last had that book read to him? A month ago, two months ago, longer? Has he been saving that quote until now? Is three-years old a little too young for random quotes that sum up a situation perfectly?

As I try not to laugh, I say, "Yes, Caleb, all Daddies like to watch their children sleep. You need to sleep so I can watch you later. I love you, Caleb. Good night."

I close the door amazed at the recall of children and their impeccable timing.

But Caleb is right. I checked on him later. I kissed his forehead, like I always do, and heard his soft breathing. My little handsome man sleeps. This Daddy certainly enjoys watching him.

3 comments:

John Nelson said...

Nice story. You sound like a good dad, firm and loving.

Anonymous said...

Jared,
Our children must be related. Our story is almost verbatim. Tara and Kaleb must be talking and giving each other hints.
Their pretty cute though. I enjoyed your pictures. Kaleb and Grace are beautiful. We were watching home videos the other night and saw baby Grace. Tara loves to see the cousins. Maybe sometime we can get them together. We really miss you and those cute chilren of yours. Love Jen

Sally said...

What you really need to do, Jared, is freeze that moment, along with many others, in time. Children DO know just the strings to pull. It has to do with their innocene. Mom