1) We have a small Christmas tree. We thought it should have some presents under it, so there have been about six presents under the tree. For the last two weeks, Caleb would take the presents and find the two that have his name on it. Then he will ask if he can open them.
That gets a no.
How about take them into his room? Put them on his dresser?
No and no. They need to stay under the tree.
Then in exasperated tones, "I want it to be Christmas." (Mind you this has only happened since the tree and presents were up.)
2) We have been listening to Michael McLean's Forgotten Carols in our Christmas music rotation. The song about Handel's pen may be Caleb's favorite. He loves to sing the hallelujah parts, but he is always ready to break out a "Aw, then I can't sing in the choir." whenever the song is on.
One of my memories from this Christmas season will be Caleb repeating that line at a number of funny points in time.
3) Many toys come with little brochures. You get a new toy and a reminder there is much left to acquire. Caleb calls these brochures "maps". Caleb can play with the maps as much as the acutal toys at times. When we told him that he was going to see Santa at a Christmas party, he was excited to talk to the jolly old elf. But the things that HAD to come with to the Christmas party with him was his maps.
This pictures has Caleb showing Santa a map of the Bob the Builder toys and Cars the Movie cars and telling him which ones he wants. I guess you just can't take chances when it comes to Christmas toys. You need to be able to show Santa exactly what you want.
Then it happened. Caleb found his four or five presents and started walking around with them.
"Dad, can I open these presents?"
"No, Christmas is in just another day and a half."
"Can I put them on my dresser?"
"No, they go under the tree."
"Can I look at them?"
"Of course, you may."
"Dad, can you read me the names on these tags?"
"Sure." (But he had only gotten the presents with his name on them!) "This one says "To: Caleb" and so does this one and this one..."
"No read it all Dad. Who are they from..."
I could go on. But needless to say, I hope Caleb makes it all the way to Christmas. Miraculously, he has lasted this long. He needs to hold on for one more day.
UPDATE: One last story that is tangentially related to Christmas.
At church today, Caleb needed a drink. He went to the water fountain downstairs and bumped into his friend Nicole. They are the same age and Caleb likes Nicole. They came upstairs together holding hands. Nicole was wearing a beautiful black and plaid Christmas dress. Caleb had black pants with a red snowman sweater. They looked just adorable, like a picture in a magazine. A couple of others stopped to admire the picture. I wish I had my camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment