Friday, December 29, 2006

What's in a Name?

Everyone has favorites. Oliver's favorite child is Clara. Dale only needs Costco for his existence to be complete. Caleb loves his blankets more than anything else. Basketball is the drug I constantly crave. And when Mary needs something or is feeling down, you know Target will brighten her day.

The funny thing about Target is how most people pronounce it. It used to be called Target. Today it seems most people call it Tarzhay. I refer to it as "The Zhay". How often does the name of a commercial entity get changed so universally?

This thought was in the back of my mind as I was riding the bus one day. Could you imagine my surprise when a mother started calling for her son by saying, "Tarzhay"? I could not be sure, but that was either his given name or nickname. I have since ridden the bus a few times with them and she always calls him the same name.

How many commercial entities can turn into names? When will someone named Espn marry Tarzhay? Wouldn't that be a match made in (advertiser's) heaven?

3 comments:

Oliver said...

I remember our mother calling it Tarzhay when we were children living in Ridgecrest. The name goes back a long way.

Jared said...

Okay, I did not realize that it went back that far. My bad.

Sally said...

Target is an off shoot of Dayton's, a major department store chain in Minneapolis that has morphed into a Macy's as most dept. stores in the land have. I knew those who were the very heads of all areas of Target's development. They were mid 20 BYU grads. We began calling it Tarzhay around 1969. Mom