Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Art of Talking

I am a volunteer Assistant Scoutmaster for a local Boy Scouts troop. (This troop is sponsored by our church congregation.) I was looking for someone to volunteer to lead the boys through a merit badge a few weeks ago. I decided that I should ask during priesthood if any of the men in our congregation would be willing to help out.

We meet together as a larger group for general announcements. I stood up and gave a brief background on the merit badge and asked if anyone would volunteer to help. A number of the men looked like they did not catch what I was saying and one asked me to repeat my explanation.

So I explained what the requirements for the badge were, what a counselor would lead the boys through and asked for a volunteer. Someone's hand went up in the back and asked me if I could repeat what I said again because he could not understand what I needed. Fortunately for me, someone else volunteered before I had to go through the whole spiel again.

I guess that is why the communications merit badge exists. (And the counselor that volunteered was a much better communicator than I was!)

1 comment:

Sally said...

For all that you ought to have called and asked me to fly out and re-register as a merit badge counselor and do it for you. It is one of the six I do.