Saturday, March 06, 2010

Caleb Man

I love Caleb. He is a surprise at every turn. I think I understand him and then he does something that let's me know there is more to learn about him. The ability to do unexpected things is one part of life that makes it so much fun. Life would not be the same if it was too predictable. My life with Caleb is not predictable and I love it.

I also can see a bit of me inside of Caleb. When I hear stories about my life growing up, I can see similar traits in Caleb. Though we have these similarities, he finds ways to express his individuality. I am glad that he is still his own person. The two-edged sword of genetics is that your children are like you whether it is the good or the bad. Fortunately, my less than desirable habits don't always condemn him to do the same thing. Maybe part of the unexpected in Caleb is his ability to live individually, though we share these traits. Here is one story to illustrate how he can surprise me.

Caleb is a good reader. I am not sure how he picked it up, but I am always happy that he can read well. I am not suggesting that he is the best reader in 1st grade, just that he can do it well. Today we were watching our friends' children. The kids were playing well in the basement and then came upstairs. There were not as many activities to do upstairs. Then all of the sudden, I hear someone reading Cinderella. Caleb had asked the younger daughter if she would like to hear a story. She wanted to, so Caleb sat down next to her and read. It certainly wasn't what I expected from Caleb, but it was a really sweet thing for him to do. He could help her stay calm and read something that she would love to hear. Here is a picture of the two of them reading together.

3 comments:

Sally said...

This is so sweet of Caleb. See that wild man still does have his soft side.

beezbond said...

reading is a wonderful legacy on all sides of caleb's family - this should come as no surprise just a delight

Jared said...

Caleb definitely has a soft side. It is a very sweet and warm side, too. And it does come out regularly. I love to see it and I love to see the wild side as well. We all need an inner soft side AND an inner "Max."