Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Sunday Stories

This Sunday was my turn to teach the Young Men at church. I had forgotten to get chalk and eraser and disappeared for a moment before class to grab it. I came back from the library and I saw one of the boys in the doorway. I said to myself, "Why is he standing guard?" I did not pursue that line of thinking because I was preoccupied by my lesson and the need to teach.

I told myself I should have thought more about it as I was sliding off the broken chair the boys had set up for me.
As I was teaching, I asked a question to the class. One of the young men answered it in the negative. Then I asked if any of the other boys agreed or disagreed. The same young man that answered the first time decided to reply in the affirmative. After this, I said to the class, "Does anyone else want to waffle or take a stand on this topic?"

One of the other boys said, "Mmm, waffles … waffles … waffle stand … I should have a waffle stand."

You have to love the thought process of the boys on a Fast Sunday.
Joshua needed my help in the bathroom on Sunday. I was told about this and went to the bathroom to help him out. When I was about 20 feet away from the bathroom, I heard a voice loudly singing "Old MacDonald had a Farm" and saw a couple of adults smiling right outside the bathroom door.

It was wonderful to hear Joshua sing, but I need to teach him to sing more quietly when there is a priesthood class going on about 10 feet away on the other side.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Ah, come on Jared. There needs to be a little levity at church. Let the boy sing on!

Jared said...

I don't have a problem with Joshua's singing. It was just a little bit too "top of the lungs" for church. Especially since the priesthood lesson was in an open area.